Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Meat & Veggie Strombolis

Welcome to the Teach Me How to Cookie Blog! I am by no means a great chef (hence the blog title!), but this is my journey learn. Most of the recipes I try, I find online and so I feel I should contribute my own ventures as well. And quite honestly, I have enjoyed reading MixandMatchMama's blog during this season of The Bachelor. Please feel free to make comments about how recipes worked for you, suggestions to improve my blog, or just drop a line to say "hello."

There's no better time to start then now, so tonight I made:


Meat & Veggie Strombolis





Shopping List:

2 Thin Crust Pillbury Pizza Crusts

4 C Shredded Mozzarella 

Olive Oil for Brushing

For Meat Stromboli:

1 pkg Pepperonis

3/4 lb Ground Italian Sausage

1/2 C Pizza Sauce

For Veggie Stromboli:

1/4 C Diced Onions

1/3 C Diced Tomatoes

1/4 C Diced Black Olives

1/2 C Chopped Spinach (frozen)

A pinch of Salt & Pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 cookie sheets.
2. Brown Italian Sausage.
2. Roll out Pillsbury Thin Crusts, one on each cookie sheet.
4. On one cookie sheet, add pepperoni, italian sausage, and pizza sauce. Placement should be down the middle of the dough and leaving the outsides empty (imagine dividing the rolled out dough into three columns. Fill the middle column with ingredients, and leave the outer two columns blank.)
5. Add 2 C shredded mozzarella.
6. On the other cookie sheet, add onion, tomatoes, black olives, spinach, salt, and pepper. Placement should be the same as the first cookie sheet - down the middle column of the rolled out dough.
7. Add remaining 2 C shredded mozzarella.
8. On each stromboli, make 2 inch slices from the middle column, out to the edge of the dough, both sides, from top to bottom. Here is a diagram to show what I mean:


9. Fold dough slices in over the stromboli contents so that they overlap one another (again, see diagram above.
10. Brush both strombolis with olive oil. Bake for 15-20 mins (until they just start to brown). Remove from oven and let stand for 2 minutes. Then serve!

We had a group of Young Life leaders over for dinner tonight,
 and this recipe was a HUGE hit! In fact, next time I know to double the recipe!
But then again, who can go wrong with strombolis? Happy Cooking!!

Also, I need to mention that 
my favorite sister Hannah (Face) 
gave me the original stromboli recipe. 
I just altered the ingredients.



1 comment: